Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thought I'd give blogging a try!

Pond Shadows, 19 1/4" x 20 1/2"

One of my favorite things about the internet, is the opportunity to so easily view the work of talented artists from around the world. For some time, via my all too expansive collection of bookmarked sites, I've noticed that many of those artists have blogs here. After retiring from a technology career a few years ago, I've been renewing my artistic pursuits and thought this might be a great way to show some of my work on the web.

To offer some chronology, I thought I'd begin my blog with some earlier pieces and work forward from there. Most of my earlier work was done in colored pencil because of it's "no muss, no fuss" quality, but mostly because I've always enjoyed drawing. Lately I've been exploring watercolor, which is very challenging, but can be delightful in its subtlety and luminosity. So far, I don't believe I've gotten past the challenging part yet! Hope you enjoy seeing some of my work. Thanks for stopping by!

This was the first major piece I did after I retired, using Prismacolor on Canson Mi Tientes paper. During a vacation in Hawaii, I was intrigued by the shadows being cast in a Koi pond, since shadows are typically associated with things in the air, not in the water. Because it was an indoor pond, I chose to translate the bottom in a decorative motif, somewhat reminiscent of tile, but also reflective of the fluid environment of the Koi.

No comments:

Post a Comment