Wednesday, October 27, 2010

An Older Landscape

Smith Rocks Solo, 20 1/2" x 15 1/2"

Here's a landscape piece I did in 1995 of a view in Smith Rock State Park, which is a very pretty and dynamic spot here in Central Oregon. It is a very popular venue for both artists and rock climbers, with sheer rock cliffs along the meandering Crooked River. Personally, I'd far rather draw it, than climb it!

As you can see, I once again incorporated the colored paper background as part of the imagery, this time using a much more representational approach. I did try to add a bit of whimsy with the patchwork cross hatching for the sky, which I thought also complimented the more linear style of the flowing water. The hawk sort of flew into the composition as a bit of an afterthought, because I felt it sort of emphasized both the loftiness of the landscape and the serenity of the scene. All in all, I think it captured my vision of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment